Kings Pride Soft Leaf Buffalo – OUT OF STOCK
Kings Pride Soft Leaf Buffalo is an Australian soft-leaf buffalo grass that is soft and extremely hard-wearing.
- Superior shade tolerance
- Lush lime green foliage
- Good winter colour (once established)
- Low seed-head production
Vibrant Green Soft Leaf
Full Sun to Part Shade
Ideal for Premium Homes
Ordering online is a fast and safe way of ordering your turf. If you need help, please don't hesitate to call 1800 622 340, or contact us for assistance at the link below.
Contact our friendly Staff >
Kings Pride Soft Leaf Buffalo is the difference between a good lawn and a truly great lawn.
This Australian soft-leaf buffalo grass stays greener for longer, is softer than ever and is extremely hard-wearing. A Kings Pride Soft Leaf Buffalo lawn will look amazing, perform better and give you more time to enjoy it.
Stenotaphrum secundatum ‘Kings Pride’
Shade tolerance is moderate to good. Will tolerate up to 60-70% shade. NOTE: No grass will grow well in heavy shade.
- Mow every seven to ten days in the hot months; every three to six weeks in the cold months.
- Mowing height: 20mm-50mm if grown in full sun, 50mm-70mm if grown in part shade.
- Sharpen mower blades frequently.
- Allow growing to maximum length during the cooler months to maintain colour and vigour.
It is essential that instant turf is laid on moist soil. Once laid, it’s important to water the turf in to prevent it from drying out. Watering should wet the sod and the top 30-50mm of soil. The turf needs to be kept moist over the first few days after laying.
After the root system is fully established, water thoroughly only when required. Once every seven to ten days during warm or hot summer weather (more often on sandy soils), and much less in cooler months.
Remember that infrequent, deep watering promotes a healthy lawn by encouraging the knitting of the turf sod to the soil. Over-watering can encourage excessive growth, disease and root rot.
Guide to watering your new lawn
- Root initiation and development – typically the first week
The turf may require watering three times a day for the first week, depending on the temperature, relative humidity, and wind.
- Soil/root system establishment – typically the second week
Water every second day, and every day if hot and dry, to keep the turf moist.
- Third and fourth weeks
Water less frequently, reducing to twice a week by the fourth week. Only water more on hot and dry days.
- For best results use a slow release fertiliser three times per year (early spring, mid summer and late autumn)
- In the heat of summer avoid over-fertilising or using manure-based products
- If you need a quick green up, use a liquid fertiliser that is high in nitrogen to promote a lush green lawn
- Do not use weed-and-feed fertilisers unless otherwise stated on the product back panel
Sprays containing Dicamba must not be applied.
Kings Pride Soft Leaf Buffalo is offered all year round however, it is best installed between September and April.
Purchase and establishment during the winter months (or unseasonably cold weather) is not ideal and carries certain risks and challenges such as:
- Slow establishment of a new root system
- Deterioration without direct sunlight and if kept saturated
- The grass is dormant – it will not be active and will lack green colour.
- Difficult to sustain or recover from repeated use.
- Internode length: 19.1mm average
- Leaf width: 8.4mm average
- Leaf length: 16.5mm average
- Leaf colour: Green RHS 137A and 137B
- Evergreen to moderate dormancy depending on local conditions
- Broad leaf structure, soft to the touch.
Extremely deep rooted
Will tolerate moderate salt levels
Top dress with fine washed sand after installation. Approx. 1 cubic metre to 100 square metres.
Thickness of sod: approx. 25mm
Is there somewhere I can go to see the turf varieties displayed?
Yes, if you call us on 1800 622 340 we can let you know where to see our turf varieties.
Can I purchase turf online?
Yes, it’s easy to order from our website. Just click on the Buy Turf section. It’s that simple!
Do I need to lay my new lawn right away or can I leave it to the next day?
It is important that you lay your turf immediately after it is delivered. If you leave your turf for more than 24 hrs it will start to heat up and compost in the stack.
What turf variety is best suited for Pets?
It is best to select a turf variety that repairs itself like Kikuyu, Santa Ana Couch or Kings Pride Soft Leaf Buffalo.
I have a lot of shade in my garden, which is the best choice for this situation?
Kings Pride Soft Leaf Buffalo is the best choice for a shaded lawn.
When is the best time to install new turf?
Warm seasons grasses like Kings Pride Soft Leaf Buffalo, Kikuyu and Santa Ana Couch are best installed from September to April. Tall Fescue can be installed all year round. Remember to water well during the warmer months. See Tall Fescue technical info for more details.
What is top dressing?
Topdressing refers to a layer of sand applied to the top of your newly installed grass. Kings Pride Soft Leaf Buffalo will benefit from being top dressed. After installing your new Buffalo turf, apply approximately one cubic metre to 100 square metres.